Tuesday, June 2, 2009

June 1. Dean Mobley. We started the day as early as possible. We woke up at 6:00 and disembarked the ranger station that let us stay the night, were on the road at 7:00, and in our kayaks at 8:00 on the Strawberry Landing where we stopped the day before.

We proceeded across the Cooper River to a canal that took us to Chickin Creek. Several large gators made an appearance for us along the way. Chickin Creek led us to the back river where we disembarked at the Bushy Creek Boat Ramp. All in all, we paddled about 10 miles, not a hard day, but a fulfilling one. We then went to our campsite on James Island and got there about 1:00 p.m. We had some free time before we had our final class. Nine of us went to Folly Beach and swam in the ocean while the others stayed in camp and took advantage of the facilities, including a water park. I couldn't resist the urge to swim at the beach my family and I used to visit forty years ago. My first memories as a child were on this very beach so long ago. We're all excited about our last day on the river and can't wait to get back to our normal lives, but we will carry this memory with us for the rest of our lives.

"From the Mountains to the Sea", yep, it's one of my favorite songs by U2, and its the name of one of my favorite trails in Pisgah National Forest, and that's what we've done, come to places I've lived in the past. I thought the only connection to them was my family and myself, but it turns out that the water that sustains us has a direct trail that connects it all.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for keeping updates on your adventure. It has been a treat to read everyone's different blog posting. It was awesome to hear about all of the generous hospitality that you received along the way. I think you made a difference to those rivers and the people that live there. A job well done. An early congratulations on your completation of your trip and link class ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been quite happy getting to read about the VOR experience over the past few weeks - I'm glad everything went well for you guys and gals. It sounds like you had a wonderful time and have made memoeries and friendships that will last. I can't wait to see you all in the Fall when we return to Brevard once again.

    - Michael Eleazer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have also enjoyed reading your posts! I am so glad you all made it safely to the end and I would be interested in seeing a blog post from each of you, now that it is over, on how the trip has affected your view on life. I liked very much Dean's last sentence ". . .the water that sustains us has a direct trail that connects us all." I couldn't agree more! Best of luck in all of your future endeavors!
    --Lori Owenby

    ReplyDelete